Saturday 9 April 2011

Original and Creative Artwork: Aloha Series


Can we truly say that our work is original?


I love researching ideas especially those relating to travel and faraway lands. One of these ideas related to the word "Aloha" - the traditional greeting from Hawaii. When I looked into its deeper meanings I found many interesting things. The spirit of Aloha was an important lesson taught to the children in Hawaii in the past. I chose to portray my interpretation of Aloha within three works of art. One called "Transformation", which represents the transformation of energy - burning, sparkling and decay. Another I called "InnerPeace" because to me it also represented the steady, constant beating of the heart - in harmony with mother earth. In the final work, named "Awakening" (pictured here) I used a part of the wonderful creation story of Papa (father sky) and Wakea (mother earth) who have a child that dies at birth and is buried, however from the body grows a shoot that becomes the first plant on earth - the Taro plant; a staple diet of the Polynesian people. Haloa (Aloha) also means "everlasting cycle" which is a reason why the series includes many waves and circular brushstrokes.


A small word that to many has only one meaning, has inspired me to use my creative skills in producing a series of watercolor studies and acrylic paintings. Check out the series in my new website: www.artphotographypaintings.com


Am I being truly creative and original ? - Please, I would be interested to hear your views.

No comments:

Post a Comment