Thursday 30 June 2011

Second Chance in Pisa

I caught the train from Livorno to Pisa to get my very first shots of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  It was 1982 and I just had to get some photos with my new Canon A1. Unfortuately, when I had the reel developed not one image came out - the result of a mistake in the lab, out of date film or incorrect exposure?  I was very disappointed.
In 2008, I had the opportunity to visit this magical site once again.  On this occasion, I captured a series of images with my new Canon Digital SLR - some of which I have posted to the website as black and white photographs. This shadowy image was taken early in the morning from the top of the leaning tower an hour or so before travelling on a direct flight back to Valencia.  I was captivated by the sheer quality and detail of the wonderful sculpture, decoration and architecture.  Magical, beautiful, inspiring - I cannot wait to visit Pisa again, perhaps with sketchpad and watercolors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment